Monday, March 22, 2010

So Much For Instant Gratification

After the success of my first paint removal attempt on an old oak mirror frame I have turned my attention to the decades of dirty paint on our old beadboard cabinet.

I headed back to the hardware store to purchased what will amuse anyone who has ever attempted a larger paint removal project such as this…I came home with a mere two pints of paint remover. I’m embarrassed to admit I somehow thought I would be able to remove 30 layers and a hundred years worth of paint with two little pints of paint remover!

If that isn’t bad enough I seem to have also underestimated the amount of time and effort this project would take! In my defense my only previous paint removal experience took less than half a pint of paint remover, less than two hours, and resulted in an instantly beautiful oak frame. This time around after nine hours and two pints of paint remover I barely have the two bottom doors clean! It would also seem the small scale of my first project must have kept me from coming into contact with the paint remover because this time I seem incapable of not splattering myself with the flesh burning slim.

I now consider myself fully cured of my brief addiction to paint scrapping, yet something tells me I have untold hours of this pastime to look forward to before this, the final paint removal project of my career, is finished! I’ll be sure to let you know how this one turns out.
Related Posts with Thumbnails